Sunday, March 3

Almond flour, flax meal pancakes

This morning Christopher and Zoe wanted pancakes. My first thought was 'Damn. He knows I can't eat pancakes!' The flour shoots my blood sugar through the roof, the calories are totally empty and they put you in a food coma within an hour. So, I decided to make them the regular ones and make me some protein laden, low carb, grain free beauties. Cooking with almond flour is actually very easy when it comes to baked goods, you just sub out flour equally and off you go.
For this recipe I used:
  • 1/3 cup almond flour
  • 1/4 cup golden flax meal
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup of milk (to make these paleo or for dairy intolerance use coconut milk, almond milk, ect)
  • a dash of baking powder
  • a few drops of vanilla stevia
Mix it all together in bowl and heat your pan. I make them a little larger than silver dollar pancakes. To this batch I added fresh blueberries and banana slices:

And then drizzled raw, local honey on them:


These are great! Very filling. I got about 7 good size pancakes out of it, but what is really great is what I didn't get. High blood sugar, low nutritional value and an epic crash an hour later.
This is really a breakfast you can feel good about! Go make them, you'll love them, your kids will love them, it'll be a big 'ol love fest! Just don't forget the bacon!!!

2 comments:

SAYWTSONMYMIND said...

My pancakes were wet in the inside. It was like I was eating a raw pancake. Is that how it suppose to be.

Kathryn said...

Hi, no, that's not at all how it's supposed to be! I cook them on a medium heat, low and slow and I've never had them stay 'wet' on the inside. Sorry it didn't work out for you.