Monday, January 7

There aint nothin' like Texas barbeque!

Happy New Year, y'all!

Thanks for all your emails inquiring to my whereabouts! I have been stateside for 2 weeks, got back to Norway and was struck down by a vicious flu bug. I am hardly myself, but getting strength back daily!!!! I have been DYING to update the blog for days now!

So, over the holidays, I was charged with the task of showing Texas to my husbands parents who came to Houston from Norway for a week of FUN!! Seeing as I am obsessed with food, I had quite the culinary list compiled. Actually, there were only 3 things that I knew they MUST have while in Texas:

1. Texas Barbeque
2. Authentic Tex-Mex
3. Whataburger

We'll get to numbers 2 and 3 later. Let me set the scene for you. We are driving on Highway 59 from Nacogdoches (the oldest town in Texas and birthplace of yours truly)and my sister and I are looking for a barbeque joint. There is no such thing as a barbeque 'restaurant', it needs to be a barbeque JOINT. Suddenly, we spied a trailer on the right side of the road and a sign that said 'Dee's Barbeque' and 'come right on in!!!'. I knew instantly that we had to go there.

It was one of those great East Texas days. Clear and chilly (mid 40's). Everything felt crisp. We stepped out of the car and the heady aroma of smoking meat was in the air. It was amazing. Excitedly, we all moved towards the double-wide. I was giddy as I just knew instinctivly that this was one of those joints that would be memorable and a real experience for my inlaws. I was not disappointed.

We walked in and were greeted by long tables covered in red and white checkered table cloths and a smiling gentleman who welcomed us with 'Hey Y'all! Welcome!' That turned out to be Ronnie of Dee's barbeque. He got quite excited when I told him I had people in there from Norway who had never had real barbeque before and he insisted that we sign his guestbook, saying 'I've never had anyone from Europe in here before!'. It was awesome!

Now, I'm a simple gal, and one of my most favorite things is a chopped beef sandwich, so of course we ordered those. Ronnie uses brisket for his chopped beef sandwich, and a good one is a thing of beauty. Soft white bread, slices of white onion, sour dill pickles, brisket and barbeque sauce. Such an amazing combination and Ronnie did not disappoint:





A true sign of a good piece of smoked brisket is the pink ring around the edges. The tell tale sign of proper smoking. This sandwich was PERFECT!

We also ordered a plate of mixed meat, which turned out to be brisket, sausage and ribs:



We had just eaten breakfast about 2 hours earlier, so we didn't order beans and potato salad, just the meat and big 'ol Dr. Peppers.

You don't get much more Texas than that!

So, if your ever driving down 59 and passing through Corrigan, Texas, be sure to stop at Dee's Barbeque, it's the kind of place you can smell in your hair hours after leaving:

6 comments:

Donna said...

Sounds like you found the perfect place to take your in-laws. That's nice.

Glad you're feeling better, too.

Unknown said...

Wow! Those photos!

I'm glad you're back. And Kathryn--you're gonna have to read my blog--we've sussified the world! And we owe it all to you.

BDEES said...

Hey there! I am the daughter behind the Dee's BBQ! My parents really got a kick out of this Blog! Thank you for the compliments. Take Care!

iamronn said...

You won't find better BBQ anywhere else. And I have had BBQ all across this land, having spent 5 years in the military. Ronnie is the most congenial host and Florence is the perfect right hand. No better pair anywhere. You can readily see they perfectly compliment each other.

Dees BBQ said...

Ronnie & Florence Dees

Thanks so much for the wonderful pictures and words of praise!!
Ronnie said he really enjoyed having you and your family.
We both hope to see you real soon!

Dees BBQ

Brent said...

I live in Southeast Texas and I can honestly say that Dees' BBQ is some of; if not the best in Texas. I try BBQ everywhere I travel and I haven't found any that can "hang" with Dees.