Wednesday, February 27

Good for you chocolate meringue cookies!

After being tortured by Jillian michaels for the last few days and eating dang near close to perfect, I started craving chocolate. Chocolate preferably in the form of cake or cookies. Determined not to give in, I started thinking of an alternative. I thought of meringues, those yummy, crispy airy delicacies. It's just egg whites, right? And a teeny bit of sugar. I figured I could add chocolate and call it a day. I did a quick google search and quickly discovered that there are thousands of recipes out there for meringues! I couldn't believe all of the variations! I just wanted chocolate, so I went with this one and modified it pretty heavily. I followed the baking instructions in the recipe, so these aren't true meringues, not crispy and airy, but more dense and chewy, but plus side, they only take about 12 minutes to bake versus 2-3 hours.
Here's the recipe:

  • 3 eggs at room temperature. (if you're anything like me, you hate seeing the words room temperature because it requires advance preparation, so just put the eggs in a bowl of hot tap water for a few minutes. Voila. Room Temperature!)
  • Preheat the oven to 350
  • Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and spray with PAM
  • 1/2 cup of organic coconut sugar
  • 2 TBL cocoa powder
  • 3TBL organic cocoa nibs
  • 2 oz dark chocolate chopped finely
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp cream of tartar or a teeny splash of white vinegar 
Start by separating the eggs. I find the easiest way to do this is to crack it in my hand over a bowl and let the white slip through my fingers. Just slips right through and the yolk NEVER breaks. I also recommend organic, free range eggs! They're just better for you!


using a glass or metal bowl, whip the whites until peaks start to form. Slowly add the coconut sugar, tablespoon by tablespoon:

                                 
Continue to beat the egg whites and sugar until you have stiff peaks. I never really got them too stiff. Not sure why, but does it matter really?? When you are satisfied with the volume of the eggwhites, stir in the cocoa powder and cocoa nibs:

                                     
I guess the cocoa nibs are optional, but man, they add in such a depth of deep, chocolaty flavor. So delicious. You can get them at Whole Foods or Trader Joes.

Your mixture will look something like this:

                            
 

Get a spoon and drop them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and sprayed with PAM:



The recipe I followed said there were 40 cookies here. But I only got 24. She did say to use a TEASPOON though. Seriously??? Who wants a cookie the size of a teaspoon?? So I revolted and used a normal spoon instead! Baked them in a 350 degree oven for 12 minutes and took them out and transferred them to a wire rack to cool. I took this picture an hour later:

 
Seriously good, folks! And really perfect to satisfy a sweet tooth. Best of all, they are low carb, grain free, gluten free, refined sugar free. I did the nutritional values for you because I know some of you require proof.

Per cookie:
  • Calories: 31
  • Carbs: 2
  • Fat: 2
  • Protein: 1
Whatcha waiting for?? Delicious! and basically guilt free, so, you're welcome.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Katherine, this looks like another recipe I will have to try. I am doing the Wheat Belly diet and so far what you have been posting works for that diet as well. It's going well, I've dropped 2 sizes since January 2013.

/\__/\ said...

wow i might try this one too! the mouth watery preparation excites me. thanks for sharing. looks great and yummy and safe for people with diabetes like me.